An electric shock can occur upon contact of a human body with any source of voltage high enough to cause sufficient current through the muscles or hair.
- The minimum current a human can feel is thought to be about 1 milliampere (msA).
- The current may cause tissue damage or fibrillation if it is sufficiently high.
- Death caused by an electric shock is referred to as electrocution. Generally, currents approaching 100 mA are lethal if they pass through sensitive portions of the body.
An electrical shock is received when electrical current passes through the body.