Any material such as dust, sand or paint that gets into the eye is called a foreign body. Foreign bodies fall into two categories.
- Superficial Foreign Bodies: these stick to the front of the eye or get trapped under one of the eyelids, but do not enter the eye.
- Penetrating Foreign Bodies: these penetrate the outer layer of the eye and enter the eye.
Is It Serious?
Superficial foreign bodies are not usually serious.
A penetrating eye injury can be extremely serious – it may lead to blindness if not detected and treated promptly. Even if treated appropriately, it may cause loss of vision.
Care For The Eye
Small Superficial foreign bodies:
- Begin by rinsing your eye with a saline solution (the same solution used to rinse contact lenses). Tap water or distilled water may be used if no saline solution is available.
- A water fountain makes a great eye wash. Just lean over the fountain, turn on the water, and keep your eye open.
- Hold a glass of water to your eye and tip your head back or to a side. Flush the eye with a stream of water. Do this many times.
- If you are near a shower, get in and put your eye under the running water.
- If you are working outside, a garden hose running at a very modest flow will work.
- If washing out your eye is not successful, the object can usually be removed with the tip of a tissue or a cotton swab. Pull back the eyelid by pulling down on the bottom edge of the lower lid or by pulling up on the upper edge of the upper lid. Look up when evaluating for a foreign body under the lower lid. Look down when evaluating for a foreign body under the upper lid. You will often need someone to help you in this case. Be very careful not to scrape the tissue or the cotton swab across your cornea, the clear dome over the iris.
For large foreign bodies or for embedded bodies (even if they are very small), do not attempt to remove them at home. See a medical professional immediately. Before going to the doctor, secure the eye and the object in place e,g, if a pencil has penetrated the eye, secure it with a paper cup. Do not move the eye unnecessarily.
To ensure that you do not become a victim of the harmful product, there are six methods on how to identify plastic rice from the ordinary one
- Boiling Test. When you are boiling the rice, observe it carefully. If it begins to form a thick layer at the top of your saucepan, then it is a straight sign of plastic rice.
- Water Test. Take a glass of cold water and pour a tablespoon of raw rice in it. Then mix it thoroughly. You will immediately know that you have an ordinary rice if it falls on the bottom. At the same time, plastic rice will stay on the top.
- Pound Test. Pound a few grains of your rice with the help of a pestle and mortar. Then look at the color of the powder. If it has a white color, then you deal with an ordinary rice. If the color is yellow, then it is a fake rice.
- Fire Test. Take a bit of rice and burn it with a lighter. Fake rice will always smell like burnt plastic.
- Hot Oil Test. Boil some oil and drop some rice into it. Plastic rice will always stick at the bottom of the saucepan.
- Mold Test. Boil a handful of rice. Put it for two or three days in a warm place. If there is no mold during that time, your rice is definitely fake. The reason is very simple: neither temperature nor weather affects the plastic.
All people above 39 years of age must go to the nearby Health Institution for regular Blood Pressure check-up.
- Headache and restlessness
- Chest Pain
- Pain radiating to left shoulder, arm and back
- Difficulty in breathing
- Feeling sick or vomiting
- Excessive sweating and body becoming pale
- Feeling of unconsciousness
- Eat balanced diet
- Reduce salt intake in diet
- Avoid usage of alcohol & tobacco
- Reduce usage of oil & ghee
- Do exercise on regular basis
- Keep your body weight under control
- Prevent children from intake of fast-food
Complication if left uncontrolled:
- Heart attack
- Kidney diseases
Patients who are on treatment must take regular medication as advised by doctor to keep Blood Pressure under control and also get their eyes checked-up regularly.
Caution: Majority of people suffering from High Blood Pressure do not know that they are suffering from it.
Signs of Cancer
- Continuous Cough and Heaviness in Voice.
- Heavy Excessive bleeding during menstrual period and bleeding apart from menstrual period.
- Non-healing ulcers in the mouth.
- Lump in Breast
Prevention of Cancer
- Take healthy food.
- Avoid alcohol intake.
- In case of any unwanted growth or swelling in any part of the body, consult a doctor immediately.
- Consult a doctor in case any change in pattern of menstrual period.
- Stop consumption of tobacco in any form.
Cancer Screening & Early Detection
Community based Screening for Common Cancer is being done at sub-centres through
- VIA: Visual Inspection with Acetic Acid.
- CBE: Clinical Breast Examination.
- OVE: Oral Visual Examination.
- HPV: HPV vaccine has been introduced for the prevention of cervical cancer for the girls of 11-13 years of age group.
- FAPHC: Free Annual Preventive Health Check-up
HB, BP, Blood Sugar, Blood Urea, Serum Creatinine, SGOT, SGPT, Cholesterol etc. should be checked, apart from screening for cervical, breast & oral cancer.
Awareness if the solution.